What if its not a dream?!!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Brenton

What if its not a dream?!!

Postby Brenton » 24 Jan 2012 15:46

Well after weeks of trying, I just had my first lucid dream! However it only lasted a little bit because of one rather annoying reason. Also note that I started by trying to initiate a MILD after I took my puppy out to pee at about 3:00 in the morning. I only got to the part where I was telling myself,"Tonight you will lucid dream." then I fell asleep. Anyway, the dream started with me standing beside the end of my bed, looking straight at my door. I then had a sudden compulsion to do a reality check, and to my surprise my fingers went through my hand like my hand was made of some sort of goo. This was extremely cool but then came the bad part.

I started rubbing my hands together for clarity, and also said,"clarity now" to no avail. I sort of just assumed that maybe that was because I was in my dark bed room(it was night time) so i figured that as things progressed it might get better. Now at this point you can imagine that i was tempted to get REALLY excited, but remembering reading about Rebecca's first dream, and being so excited that she woke herself up, so I just calmed down.

About this time I heard my mom talking behind my door, as if it was directed at my father. When that happened I suddenly got very apprehensive thinking that if this wasn't a dream, even though I did my reality check, bad things could happen. Such as me trying to fly down the stairs and landing on my face. hahaha :lol: thinking of it now i know that it couldn't be real, but at the time it seemed completely rational. At this point i went back to sleep mentally and woke up very mad at myself the next morning for wasting my first lucid dream:(

So I guess my question is, how can i overcome that fear that i felt? Will it come back next time? Also since it took me so long to do this the first time, will it be another month before I have another Lucid dream? Well any feed back or advice will be appreciated.:)

thank you[/b]

James

Re: What if its not a dream?!!

Postby James » 24 Jan 2012 17:15

so basicly your scared about it not being a LD and you breaking your neck when tring to fly?

Do some more reality check if so, and some really impossible but safe things eg
say to yourself "if im dreaming this wall is imaginary" and push your arm through it 'knowing' it will go through.

Seems logical to me...
Was it worth it?

Brenton

Postby Brenton » 24 Jan 2012 18:08

ok that makes sense, i guess it was also just a mater of the first time Lucid dream and not really knowing what to expect. But ill definitely try pushing my arm through a wall like you said. I hadn't really thought of that.

Thanks
Some times, Lucid Dreaming is the only escape from the world when things arent going your way.

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 25 Jan 2012 01:16

It might be a while before you have another lucid dream. It's not something that's predictable. I've had several over the last two week period, and I go in and out of many lucid dreams and then really really long dry spells. I credit my having so many lately by just keeping my mind on the subject, so just like those boring every day things seeping into your dreams, like work or school can do, by just reading a lot of stuff on dreams, and also reading other people's dreams, I have many more lucid dreams.

I wasn't real sure I understood your other question about mixing up reality with dreams. It's one thing to mistake a lucid dream for reality...you can't really hurt yourself, though trying to leap off a building when you're wide awake, and thinking it's a lucid dream...mmmm, that could be a problem, but I've personally never confused waking reality with a dream unless it was that short period of when I literally just woke up and I might not know if a phone really rang...until it rings again or doesn't ring. If I understood you correctly, then you have nothing to worry about.

I hope you have another lucid dream real soon. Good luck!

Brenton

Postby Brenton » 25 Jan 2012 01:50

Thanks for the advice. I guess what im trying to say is that I some how have doubt as to if its a Dream, even after the reality checks. Like a said, my fingers went through my hand but i still felt as if it could be real. It was very strange.
Some times, Lucid Dreaming is the only escape from the world when things arent going your way.

Mayazcherquoi

Postby Mayazcherquoi » 25 Jan 2012 12:45

Brenton wrote:When that happened I suddenly got very apprehensive thinking that if this wasn't a dream, even though I did my reality check, bad things could happen. ... thinking of it now i know that it couldn't be real, but at the time it seemed completely rational.

That is what's called a dream :) If you know, and from various reading and sources, that while you are normally dreaming, the brain thinks the dream scape is the reality and is totally rational. :)

Realize that it's a dream from that moment. If you are still unsure, perform other reality checks such as reading and/or checking the time. The more, the better you will probably feel. :)

Brenton

Postby Brenton » 25 Jan 2012 15:23

Ohhhh, that makes a really lot of sense actually. Maybe the problem was that I was only partialy lucid. I will definitely try this next time.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jan 2012 00:13

Brenton wrote:Maybe the problem was that I was only partialy lucid.

That happens. Lucid and Vivid are different. I've been in a dream where I know 100% that I am dreaming and am aware of who I am in waking reality, but the dream is just dark hallways and doors that lead nowhere. And I have had the opposite, in which the dream is extremely vivid and vast in scope, but I feel more like I am in a virtual reality. I know it is not real, but am not aware of who I am in waking reality.

When you get both.... that's the best.

But having doubts about whether it is a dream or not is common for me, and probably everyone. I lucid dream about once a week or so on average, but it is still hard to for example... (this is from a lucid dream)"stand up during a family gathering at the dinner table and tell everyone that this is not real, and I am going to leave and have a lucid dream now". I literally did that in a dream. BUT sometimes I wonder if I will do that in reality and make a fool of myself.

I had to be confident with my reality checks and it took a few. I looked at me left hand and it was normal. I looked at my right and my pinky finger was gnarled, but I assumed i must have hurt myself earlier. I still wasn't aware. Then I made the cutlery fly off the table, and that was the eurika moment.

Often we get so steeped in a dream because it truly feels real, and only after we awaken, we realise just how ridiculous it was and we hit ourselves in the head an curse, because it was so obviously a dream!

BUT WHEN YOU ARE THERE, IT IS ALL TOO REAL. NO MATTER HOW CRAZY IT IS.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 26 Jan 2012 00:42

My experience has been that in my first few lucid dreams, it was difficult to accept that it was a dream because it was too real, but that got easier for me as I went along and it will probably be easier for you too. You should also have less apprehension, less fear and feel more freedom to take risks which are of course completely safe in a dream.

I've found that the quality, stability and ability to do things in Lds is also determined in part by how deep the sleep is when you dream and also when you get into the dream. Dreams have a certain length and the sooner you become lucid, the more stable and workable they are.

It can get confusing at times, two days ago I had a Ld inside of another dream and I woke wondering whether it lucid, semi-lucid, or maybe lucid squared.

As far as when you'll have the next LD, that's hard to predict. I do think that despite our best efforts and abilities, there is still an element of luck involved. We are really relying on being able to make a judgment based on our perceptions during a dream which is hit and miss. I've hit and missed LDs by very small margins. I had a string of successes, but then a 3 week dry spell and many experinced Lders have the same thing happen. For me, the key is not to get upset or discouraged if it takes a while to have the next one. Lds are like the bus, you miss one and just wait to catch the next.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Brenton

Postby Brenton » 26 Jan 2012 02:49

wow, i'm really supprised about how much help this site has been and hearing that last bit is very encourageing. Thanks for the feed back and I'll try to do the WILDS that way, in fact i think I'll try right now haha. Good Night and thank you:)
Brent

Return to “For Beginners”